Grammer - puncturation - riting. Disgusting...

Comments

• Or even
    Bare in mind shakespeare wasnt, writing for me or you he was writing for his actors they needed to no there lines they probably never even sore, the hole play written down the lines whirr an aid-memoire they performed, them as actors think they probably decided wen and even if, despite the absence of commas they wood take a breath

;biggrin

• PS - I'm a big fan of David Crystal ;thumbsup
  • For all who struggle with spelling... blame Dr Johnson.

Before him, anything went. ;biggrin

• Sausage, Sausage!!
  • Swissiron said:

More recent claimants that their rules are the official ones are just pure fantasy, Burchfield, Purdue, Straus, Strunk, Oxford, Ebbit, White, Chicago et alI included.

Nuffin to do wiv me guvnor, I was off watching west ham at the time in question, onest!! ask anyone, they'll tell yer.

• Each age and each Anglophone area has its conventions about punctuation of course, but those about commas in particular tend to be more variable and far less fixed than most of the conventions, some of which are indeed quite long standing.

I am sorry to read that Grey didnt understand my point. It was largely about people suggesting there are hard and fast rules about commas. I understand that teachers have to pretend that there are; I've done it myself as a teacher. But I do believe that, on this occasion, I was unusually clear about what I was saying.
  • edited February 2017
    Swiss

Is there any style guide you are aware of that says that joining two main clauses with a comma is acceptable?

Who is pretending that is the case?

Any UK examiner where punctuation is part of the assessment?

Any EFL examination board whose qualifications are accepted in the UK?

UK editors?

Professional writers?

It seems to me you have erroneously argued from the general:

there are some disagreements about acceptable comma use in some situations in standard written English:

to deny the specific:

comma splicing is a punctuation error in standard written English

If your point
    was largely about people suggesting there are hard and fast rules about commas.
    then I can't think why you referenced me since I made no such general claim.

I made a specific statement which I am confident would be assented to by pretty much anyone with a professional interest in standard written English punctuation.
  • I am denying that "comma splicing...is a punctuation no-no."
  • Re-arrange this flippant statement, with the correct punctuation, and, address the spelling mistakes: you know it makes no cense!
  • Can I just flag it instead?
  • edited February 2017
    Swiss

You can deny the moon-landings, but it doesn't make you right.

On what basis are you denying it?

The fact of it, or the expression of it?

Comma splicing is an error in standard written English writing.

It's treated as such in public UK exams where punctuation is considered as part of the marks, right through from KS2 to university level.

It is considered as such in books on grammar that I've got, and widely on the Interwebby.

Oxford Dictionary, for example:
    A comma splice happens when a comma inappropriately links two independent clauses.

She’s an outstanding student, she’ll go far.

The comma here may well represent how people say the two clauses out loud. However, in any formal or academic writing, to use it is incorrect; it is a mistake that can make your writing seem careless or amateurish.
    https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/grammar/the-comma-splice

I would be prepared to bet that it is considered a mistake by any national newspaper editor.

You may be able to find a quote from someone saying they don't think it matters, but I really don't think that alters the fact. You can point to famous examples, but it still doesn't alter the fact.

As Lynn Truss has it (rather snobbishly, imo):
    "Done knowingly by an established writer, the comma splice is effective, poetic, dashing. Done equally knowingly by people who are not published writers, it can look weak or presumptuous. Done ignorantly by ignorant people, it is awful."
    Given the choice between teaching or advising that it is an error of punctuation on the basis of the wide ranging consensus, or allowing it on the grounds that Swiss reckons it's OK, I'm going to stick with it being a no-no.

Just to clarify:

I have no general interest in telling people how to punctuate their writing in private, on Internet forums, in academic situations or, in fact, at all.

People are free to do what they like.

Where I am being employed as a teacher, I will pass on the current rules of English punctuation, and if people want to discuss the issue, I will give my opinion.

Other than that, I really don't mind.

• I've seen a few things saying it can be acceptable when the intent is to be poetic. In their own way, I think that's what the Trump campaign was aiming for.
  • edited February 2017
    outcast ;ok

Poetry has its own rules. Which are that there are no rules. ;nolan ;wahoo

As you say, prose writers, too, often break with convention, for effect. I think that in the text printed on the poster they are trying to give it the sense of how someone would say it if they were giving a speech.

(Where the punctuation of a written-down speech is often non-standard because it is there to aid the speaker in the delivery, rather than being written for 'the public' to read.)
  • Outcast

Perhaps they were.

I'd suggest that by definition poetic usage is outside the normal bounds of standard written English, and that for all normal purposes comma splicing is considered an error of punctuation, and is thus best avoided.
  • Grey - apologies for only just replying to your message, first chance I've had to come on here since! It appears I was looking a little too 'black and white' at an issue clearly more (shades of) grey (ooh matron). I occasionally think of retraining into teacherdom, then I read things like that and wonder if I really have the temperament for it.

On a separate note, I remembered one that I have always made: whenever I write with a pen / pencil I unfailingly write both as 'bothe'. I have always done it (as far as I remember) and I have to look really hard to notice it when checking my work as my mind usually glances over and accepts it. I have no idea how it started and I cannot avoid doing it. As far as I can recall it is the only one I do every time without fault. As these days I rarely write freehand I forget about it, as noticeably it is not something I do using a keyboard. The mind is a funny thing.
  • Florin

I have done something similar since time began....its usually when typing but instead of "with the" I end typing "withe" , no idea why...
  • I've always had that problem and it's got worse because of work as I intentionally miss out vowels when taking notes but that has crept into other handwriting.

And when I'm trying on my phone, anything can happen and I rarely check before posting.
  • My spelling has got a lot worse with age and I find that I have to constantly check my spelling when posting on here or sending e.mails etc. My handwriting is almost illegible to everyone but me, and I can only write in capitals, can`t do joined up writing anymore. The one thing I constantly do when typing is if a word ends with er, such as worker I will often type workerer, again, no idea why. There is also one word that I always get wrong, and that is guard, I can never get the a and u around the right way.
  • edited February 2017
    I`ve never heard of comma splicing before. If I had to think "should I be using a comma or a ;" (what they called) to break up a sentence it would drive me nuts. Although in one of my overly long paragraphs recently I did make the effort to use the odd ; but didn`t really know if they were appropriate so will continue to comma splice willy; nilly.
  • edited February 2017
    “Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you’ve been to college.” Kurt Vonnegut

(I disagree, though. I think they are subtle and sophisticated. A bit like me ;biggrin )
  • I`m with Kurt. Anyone called Kurt Vonnegut is OK with me. He sounds to me like a sophisticated Eric Five Bellies.
  • Madcap

It depends on who is doing the 'shoulding'!

If the aim is to follow generally accepted standardised punctuation, there are (pace Swiss) rules 'out there'.

Otherwise, ask yourself does using a piece of punctuation make it easier for your readers to understand what you are saying, including removing any potential ambiguity.

(The two things are not necessarily separate, since current standardised punctuation has evolved to try to make writing easier to read.)
  • Mr G, I like good punctuation and have used commas as "do alls" my whole life. I hadn`t realised I`d been misusing them, until this thread I had never heard of comma splicing. I find the use of commas pretty intuitive, almost where you would take a breath in a sentence. I can`t get my head around the exact scenario when you would use a semicolon. Although you have explained it very well, it would be hard for me to substitute errant commas for semicolons without interrupting my flow. I`m not sure if you`ve noticed but I can prattle on at times.
  • edited February 2017
    Madcap - Generally, standard English punctuation conventions are such that a comma and a semi-colon aren't interchangeable. A semi-colon and a full stop (generally) are.

Stop reading, now, if you don't care about semi-colons

(The 'generally' is because ; have 3 main uses. And one of them is to replace the 'comma that separates items in list' when the things in your list already have commas in them. So by adding a list-type comma you end up with so many commas that your reader goes ;nonono ;run ;diop
  • Is that a comma mistake Mrs G

Door please

;yercoat
  • Exit, pursued by a wet fish-waving mod. ;fishslap

(Note, that's not a wet, fish-waving mod. ;biggrin )
  • I feel like a split colon in this discussion, please accept my apostrohes!
  • Kurt Vonnegut, the writer who survived the Allies' firebombing of Dresden where he was a prisoner-of-war. ;wahoo
  • edited March 2017
    Why punctuation matters. ;lol

A law drafted without an Oxford comma means that drivers win their case for getting paid overtime.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/mar/16/oxford-comma-helps-drivers-win-dispute-about-overtime-pay
  • Grey, MrsG, can you help me with this one.
    I stayed in a Travelodge recently and there was a sign in the bathroom:
    "Place towels in bath if you want them replacing"
    Is "replacing" here correct, and is it a gerund?
    Or should the sign be "....if you want them replaced"? Is that also possible?
    Or is "....if you want them to be replaced" the only correct form?
    I know we use all three forms in spoken English but which are grammatically correct?
This discussion has been closed.