Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• edited February 2017
    Randolph
    Kouyate - Fonte - Reid
    Antonio - Noble - Obiang - Cresswell
    Lanzini - Snodgrass
    Carroll

Is a solid staring XI (picked three at the back as it incorporated all those players).

The bench is a bit empty:

GK (Adrian), Ogbonna, Byram, CM, WG (Feghouli), Ayew, ST

So we may need a GK, RB, CM, WG and ST as a minimum, with the aim that they are all good enough to get into the first XI.

To be honest, I'd be happy with those five quality players and nothing else.
  • For me, the way to improve the squad as a whole is to sign the best players from the Championship, or the better players from our direct competitors. This is something we've done with relative success in the last few years (Cresswell, Randolph, Antonio, Snodgrass, Fonte). The other market that we often look at are the squad players from bigger clubs (Carroll, Downing, Ogbonna).

With that in mind, and the considering the positions I think we we need strengthening in, I would like to consider the following:

DR: Dominic Iorfa (Wolves), Adam Smith (Bournemouth), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham)

MC: Will Hughes (Derby), Ryan Woods (Brentford), Harry Arter (Bournemouth)

ST: Britt Assombalonga (Nottingham Forest), Scott Hogan (Brentford), Jermain Defoe (Sunderland), Michy Batshuayi (Chelsea)
  • edited February 2017

*keeping in mind this is if we want to go to the next level i.e getting on the coat tails of the top 6* not necessarily finishing top 6.

GK: Adrian, Randolph <-- one needs to go (probably Adrian at this point) and a Top Draw keeper needs to come in (though I don't see anyone gettable) </font color=red>
    CD: Collins, Reid, Fonte, Ogbonna <--- Ogbonna and Collins to go with 1 Top Draw CB coming in and bringing through Oxford / Burke <color=red>
    DR: Byram <--- Need another Top Draw Right back. <color=red>
    DL: Cresswell, Masuaku <--- This is fine providing both stay for now. <color=red>
    MC: Noble, Kouyate, Obiang, Fernandes, Nordtveit <--- Move on Nordveit and bring through Cullen ? not sure we need another CM / DM to buy though. <color=red>
    WG: Antonio, Snodgrass, Valencia, Feghouli <--- Move on Valencia, re-assess Feghouli in these next few months then see what kind of offers come in to see if he is worth keeping or looking at another Winger or if he is good enough for the next campaign. <color=red>
    AM: Lanzini, Ayew <--- Persist with both, though see what kind of offers Ayew comes in for nothing less than what we got him for though. Would replace Ayew with Siggurddson if there was ever a chance to. Or move Ayew to the empty Valencia spot if we can move him on, where I think he actually plays and bring in Siggurdsson <color=red>
    ST: Carroll, Sakho, Fletcher <--- Move on one of the two Injury Prone players and bring in a Top Draw Striker. <color=red>

• Yeold ;ok

So you're basically saying 4, maybe 5 signings?
  • Yeah but First 11 signings. Not squad fillers like last Summer.

Then potentially we could move on (including loans) 7 or 8.
  • Can I keep it simple.

Sign a RB....
  • Ok cool. I agree then. I don't want us to be recycling the squad every couple of years. I think 3-4 signings should be the target each summer. Any more and the churn is too much and we almost start from scratch.
  • Clearly there are positions we need to target to get to this point, but I think the long term goal needs to be to get to a scenario where we can go into a window and can say about every position "if we had to go with what we currently have that would be good enough". That way every signing we make should be a person who would improve the first XI.
  • Out of last years signings I would keep Fernandes, Fletcher, Masuaku, Ayew and Martinez. None of the rest look even remotely good enough, although they have had very limited playing time. Feghhouli is "OK" but I can`t see him being any better than that, and Nordveit, although not played in his proper position, again looks no better than "OK" (or worse), same goes for Tore and Callieri. I hope Sakho gets fit, screws his head on the right way and comes back determined to stay and fight for his place. To strengthen a decent squad I would say we need a good right back and a good centre forward as a minimum, plus a creative attacking midfielder as a bonus. I would also like to see at least one of our better youngsters challenging for first team football. I had forgotten about Valencia, I`m hoping we can sell him. I`m also relatively happy with our centre halves, I know Collins and Fonte are old, but will do for next year, Ogbonna (I know I`m in the minority, but I like) and of course we have our top man Winston. Either or both of the Reeces have got to break through at some time. I also think that both Adrian and Randolph will stay, and although neither are "World class" both are adequate and I hope both are happy to compete for their place. ;scarf
  • Adrian might want to go next season so he can get regular games - he'll never get another call up for Spain unless he does. (World Cup at the end of next season ;ok )
  • World Cup!!!!!! Already, blimey. That may change things then. He obviously loves West Ham and (without the distraction of The World Cup) I thought he would stay. Perhaps we`ll be looking for a goalie as well then. What`s Greeno doing now......
  • Linked with Sagna from Man City as he is a free agent in summer
  • La-Sagna
    ;hmm
    Goes down a treat against Spurs ;ok
  • edited February 2017
    Wasn't sure where to put this, but because it involves an ITK, who will once again be very active in the summer transfer window, I thought it probably best here:

kumb.com/story.php?id=130983

Ex seemed very certain during 'whatsappgate' about what went on, which Noble has now denied happened. At best misinformed, or at worst, lying? ;hmm
  • Nobes wasn't overly convincing imo.
  • IronHerb said:

Nobes wasn't overly convincing imo.

;ok

The bit where he says he was removed, but AFTER the move, reads a bit like 'yeah, um, yeah, I mean.....'
  • Can't for the life of me think why Marky Mark would bother lying about something so trivial.

Here's a crazy idea: maybe he was telling the truth?
  • edited February 2017
    To me it reads like, 'He was removed after the move'.

Unless someone has any evidence to the contrary, I'll believe Nobes over some ex bloke, for now.

Because .. erm ... one person was actually part of the Whats App group, and isn't Ex employee but is an actual WHU employee.

The other who, err, is neither.

Which one is more likely to be up to date on what's been going on?

• MrsGrey said:

Which one is more likely to be up to date on what's been going on?

Big Oli ;ok
  • As Grey says why would Marky lie after Dimi has left? And as Mrs Grey says he's part of the team not some anonymous Internet mouthpiece.
  • http://bbc.in/2jL3ck3

This BBC sport article shows all the strikers we've had since Gold and Sullivan have taken over. Only two out of the 31 strikers they've brought in cost more than £5m, Carroll and Valencia (bearing in mind strikers cost the most).

I'm not having a go at the owners but that list is quite depressing. We obviously came close to buying Hogan in January but hopefully we'll be able to bring in someone of substantial quality in the summer...not sure who though.
  • Adam

And agreed a £28m fee for Bacca in the summer, only for him to turn us down.
  • Grey, I agree. I just want us to get a deal over the line in the summer. We missed Carroll today.
  • It is poor to still be relying on Caleri, a week after the window closes and Caroll is back in bed, as so many feared.

On other stuff I notice Oxford is not getting off the bench for Reading, he could have stayed and warmed our for us if they are not going to play him?
  • I thought Calleri did ok today. Linked up well and showed some good touches. Not match fit but progressing.
  • IH; I agree, but see Callieri as an alternative to Carroll, rather than a replacement. We have to change our usual pattern of play to bring him into the game. Big Ant can't do what AC does, either. Ferguson might, if he's given enough game time. ;hmm
  • But you won't replace AC like for like as he's a one off. We played a different game yesterday and it worked pretty well, imo, so we do have a Plan B.
  • At the start of the season I thought Calleri, in his few appearances, showed a lot more than Zaza, but personally felt Fletcher showed even more, but he's been bottom of the ladder all season. Didn't think Calleri was very good yesterday, was making decent enough runs but his touch and decision making were very poor at times. True, he's had little game time, but needs to up his game considerably if we're to have an option up front while Carroll is out.
This discussion has been closed.