Next 8 games - Spring forwards or Fall back?

Comments

• ;hmm Fortune not sure who you mean ,cant believe you mean our leader and all round nice guy .okay I will say it not MARK NOBLE ;biggrin
  • Where has it all gone wrong? I think it's largely pyschological, with an unhelpful contribution from Bilic's team selections. Last season we had a huge injection of confidence as a result of Payet's arrival and a quick, skilful, counter-attacking system that we knew well and which bore results. This season, the disappointment of missing out on Champions' League due to poor refereeing decisions, the (consequential) failure to bring in big-name players, the messing up (intentionally or otherwise) of Europa League qualification (partly due to aftermath of players' success in Euros), and quite possibly the visible and growing discontent of Payet with the team's not having moved forwards may have been significant factors in our poor performances. And the stadium provided a distraction and perhaps an easy excuse for these performances.

Then Bilic has struggled to work out his best team and has regularly played people out of position.

Plus no Sakho and little Carroll (first time I've seen those two words next to each other).

But yes, give Bilic another season. And give him money to invest if he has a plan. Sturridge and Malcuit/Sagna/Zabaleta could make a huge difference to the team and the confidence the other players need. I wouldn't aim to be spending much more than that. We need to get our mojo back and then be in a position to say to top players that we just had a new-stadium wobble and now we're back on an upwards trajectory.
  • I disagree with the premise that 'it has all gone wrong'.
  • edited March 2017
    We are a mid table football clubs who are mid table. We win some games we lose others and sometimes we draw them.

We were never going to be top 6 or even top 8, never really were we in any danger of bottom 6 let alone bottom 3.

We will make mistakes and we will lose games because we are not Chelsea, even City screw up. Look at Man Utd sitting in 6th and in danger of being leap frogged by Everton.

This was always going to be an odd season especially after the hysteria of last.

Why I agree with some of the issues raised (the RB situation for example) can we try not to throw the baby out with the bath water.
  • Where has it all gone wrong?

More like, 'was it realistic to expect everything to go right', for me ;ok
  • Sorry don't think we should settle for being a mid table team, much as it might upset the traditionalists who either can't/won't accept selling our souls to the devil to be contenders for Top 6 each year.
  • edited March 2017
    I'm not settling for mid table, I do though this season think that a mid table finish is a good thing and not at all in the area of it's all gone wrong.
  • We will never be a top 6 team (by which I mean regularly and consistently getting in amongst those places) until we can compete financially.

(and maybe not even then.)
  • Don't get me wrong, if a top 6 finish was offered, I wouldn't turn it down. ;whome

I just don't have a sense of expectation about it.
  • MrsG, so lets try and put something in place so we can compete financially. How about a stadium with a bigger capacity. ;ok
  • It's a step in the right direction ;thumbsup
  • Fortune

I'd rather have a soul and be mid-table.

Not interested in a billionaire parachuting in 'top' players for silly money.

And even if one did, there is still no guarantee that we would break the top 6.

As Suze says, however, that isn't even a conversation for now.

For me, the issue is that for too many, progress has to be seen in linear, straight upwards terms.

That almost never happens in the PL.

We are a mid-table club, with the resources to match.

Over time, I would hope to see us stabilise into a top 7-10 club, but that means some 3 to 5 years (let's say this is the 2nd of those.)

If after another 3 years we are still facing relegation worries at some point in the season, I'll say that shows we haven't made any real progress.

• Oh come along Fortune, just who's going to cough for that, the taxpayer ;whistle
  • Yes indeed-ee-do Mr G ;ok
  • edited March 2017
    grey, I respect your opinion but I would like us to have more seasons like the last one with even more joy in winning something. Southampton should have one the League Cup this year but for a wrong offside call. Last season might have been a fluke with Leicester being Champions and Man U, Liverpool & Chelsea being off the pace but have Everton or WBA sold their souls and look where they are?
  • edited March 2017
    I should perhaps clarify that by attempting to answer Fortune's question "where has it all gone wrong", I wasn't actually agreeing that I believe absolutely everything has gone wrong. I didn't interpret Fortune's question as being meant quite so literally either. Let's just say there's been a marked downturn since last season and we'd like to muse upon the possible reasons as to why and wherefore.

I don't think by any means it is possible to see this only as a case of a few of the bigger teams playing well below par last season and not so much this season. That alone doesn't explain why we are playing so much worse than we were last season. And I don't think you need to believe that we should be finishing top six this year to feel disappointed in our season. I think the combination of being 14 points of 7th, playing rubbish for so much of the season, and continually seeing Bilic not getting the most out of what we have through stubborn and bizarre team selections will do it.

That said, I have still been proud of the way we have played for periods of matches. I think we have the capacity to pass the ball around quite nicely. And I realise we just don't have the quality of players to do this 100% of the time. And that's why we are aiming at 7th at the highest, realistically. But still we should be doing much better than we are.
  • edited March 2017

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/767789/Premier-League-table-predicted-February-update-sportgalleries

Nine points from the last thirteen games. I do hope this computer has got it's sums wrong. ;pray

Right now I'd take the 41 points and move on to next summer to reinforce the squad.
  • Just so gutting to have got back into the game and then concede so late. 4 times this season we've dropped points from the 89th minute onwards (as well as conceding in 3 other games that didn't affect the result), costing us 7 points.

• edited March 2017
    For me, I'm getting a bit disillusioned with the whole concept of the EPL. I think that for the majority of PL teams, it has come to the end of its natural life as a concept.

When FFP was brought in, it was meant to level the playing field, and to prevent financial doping of sides by billionaire owners etc.
    All it seems to have done is to entrench and cement a few sides into place at the top of the division year after year.Last year was the anomoly that illustrated the point in my view.How many of our players would get into the top 4-5 teams matchday squads ???
    Time for a Euopean league I feel, with those clubs that operate the 'billionaire' business model to compete in. Even teams like Arsenal struggle in the Champions league - for now, it is totally irrelevant to us, and to teams around us. As for the Europa, its a sop to keep people interested in some form of European football, and keep the TV revenues coming in.

I would be happy with a good cup run now, that at least is realistic. Starting to get bored with it all........ ;puzzled
  • BBB ;ok The Championship is actually a much better league to follow. In a way I miss us being in it. That's not to say I want us to be relegated, mind...
  • but have Everton or WBA sold their souls and look where they are?

Everton have built up over a long time while we were yo-yoing. I think they are the blueprint, and a long term ambition would be to follow them, and then once you've achieved that you look at what Spurs have done and follow that model.

WBA are an interesting one though. Because that was us last year. I'll be interested to see if in 12 months time people are still holding WBA up as an example of success. I will stick my neck on the line now and say that there is no way WBA have a better season next year than they do this year. But that won't mean they have failed or gone backwards, it is just the fact that teams at this level (8th - 15th) bounce around and have good and bad seasons.
  • BBB ;ok The Championship is actually a much better league to follow. In a way I miss us being in it. That's not to say I want us to be relegated, mind...

For me the Championship was much more fun, especially the away games..

OCS - I agree in some ways - for all the problems they are were having, I bet the Newcastle fans are having a great time this year compared to last.
    I'm just starting to feel that the EPL is akin to the ' Emporers new Clothes' story. Everyone has bought into the madness that the league is truly competative in its current format. Agreed, teams will have a mad run every now and again, and may defeat the 'top' clubs now and again ( as we did last year). But overall the money will win. The top 6 clubs are competing for 4 Euro places, with turnovers that are more than twice ours. We can only ever hope for a 'run'
    If we have to move to the OS just to stand still, as we are being told, then what is the plan ?? It has to be really long term IMO, because nothing is happening in the next couple of years. To truly compete, you need to attract the level of player that just doesnt want to come to us, unless they are approaching the end of their careers, fancy living in London for a bit, or we get lucky for a season or two a la Payet ( and perhaps Lanzini). The Daves haven't got the money to really take us forward, and again IMHO will sell us as soon as is feasible.
    We wind ourselves up on here week in week out, good and bad, and for what ? I would say that our hopes and dreams may fade and die, but the hope always was that one day, we might, just might, do it and win the league.
    Nowadays, you would have to be a fantasist to feel that way.

I still love my team, but I want the hope back, for all of us, at the moment, the pleasure can only ever be fleeting, and its getting to be a bit of a joke.

I dont think that I'm alone on this one - one of my best mate is a Baggie, and he feels the same. Living in Cornwall doesnt help, and now I've got sonof, I'm really tempted to go to Argyle for a couple of games and dip my toe in the water.
    Anyway - ;scarf
  • Every one of the Mid table group have a 8/7 a season and mostly they then drop a couple of place the next season.

I think Spurs have really changed their position through organic growth, they have gone from a 6/7 to 5/2.

Everton will look to cement the 6/7 position.

We are in that group of teams looking for a consistent 8/7 so we can then move to 6/7.

I hope that sense...
  • My 12-15 points has gone out the window we will struggle to get 8 at this rate ...
  • Our fixtures look pretty bad relegation and title chasing teams. Need something from leciester hull Swansea or we are definitely back in the relegation fight i think.
  • Jeez people calm down
  • edited March 2017
    It was only a month ago we were comfortably beating Saints and Boro away, unlucky not to dispose of WBA (who are 8th) and performed decently at Watford.

So two games, against the Champions elect and a below par display at Bournemouth (that stil almost saw us sneak a draw), have changed the entire mood.

The squad has declined since last season. This is because 1) the same players are playing worse 2) the club has sold it's best player of the last 10 years and 3) the transfer window of the summer was a massive mistake. Loads of cash spent on several squad players. When all we needed was 3/4 additions in key positions.

We were in the bottom four only in November!

It's been a 'back to reality' season, leaving us flat. I wouldn't have been that fussed about going from 7th back to mid table in any other season. What gets me is that we sold off a special ground for one unsuitable for football, and so I expected more in season one (maybe wrongly).
  • Don't worry Lukerz. If we survive this season were nailed on to go down next year. ;lol
  • edited March 2017
    Seems like we've been nailed on to go down for the last five years!!! ;lol