January 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• ;whistle
  • ;wink ok I'll put a little more effort in, however I felt you've been so well spoken/read. I also have two very young kids and have very little time. I started writing this as 3.50pm

I'm pleased about the level of and the more relaxed/ dignified responses though. This site has come a long way. When I've said we should never have signed Carroll, we should move to the OS, that Sam should move on, that Bilic was who I wanted, that Maiga was trash etc etc the abuse sometimes was on another level. Well done whu606.

Now to Antonio. For me he has over achieved and it's gone to his head. He's an ok player that can't cross, gets passed people by power alone and has got lucky in scoring a number of goals. Defensively he's terrible and his decision making atrocious. But for me that's not what grates me. It's his attitude. If asked to do a job for the team (RB) he sulks. I don't believe he gives a 100 percent when asked and he's almost happy to mess up as if to say to Bilic, don't play me in that position again. He practices his goal celebrations individually. Sturridge also does this whom I also believe is a selfish individual too, hence why Klopp isn't a massive fan. I'm just concerned that I believe Antonio plays for himself, not the team and is massively over rated. He also believes the hype.

I don't believe he is great for team morale.

Just my point of view.

Sweepy out.

• edited January 2017
    I do mrs grey but iv already been tested so know im okay ;wahoo ................................... ;wahoo
  • the abuse sometimes was on another level.
    Sorry, sweepy, but I'm not having that.

No one on here abuses or gets abused without it being dealt with.

To suggest otherwise is frankly dishonest.

We work extremely hard to ensure that everyone on here is treated respectfully, and to imply that isn't, or hasn't been the case is to dismiss the huge effort a very small but dedicated number of people have put in to making it possible.
  • I think sweep meant more the responses, not that they weren't deal with appropriately.

Sometimes the occasional response can be a little prickly in the heat of the moment.

;ok
  • edited January 2017
    I disagree with almost everything you've written about Antonio.

1. An OK player ... that gets passed people by power alone and has got lucky in scoring a number of goals.

You say that like it's a bad thing! ;lHe gets past people? yay! He scores goals ? Yay - I don't care that they're lucky. I'll take 'em any which way! In the immortal words of Arnold Palmer ''It's a funny thing, the more I practice the luckier I get.".

Are you saying we should get rid of players who get past players and score goals because they don't do it in the way you'd like?

2. If asked to do a job for the team (RB) he sulks.

I don't think he sulks. I think he gets frustrated because he knows he's not very good. And he doesn't like making mistakes that let the team down.

3. He practices his goal celebrations individually.

He has said that this is just something he does to try to involve the fans a bit more, inviting them to suggest what celebration he should do, or vote for the one they like best. I think that's quite nice. Although I do prefer the 'all celebrate together' thing, I won't condemn him for that.

4. Antonio plays for himself, not the team

”I’d rather not score and win the game than score two goals and lose it." I take this at face value.
    Read more at https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2016/september/11-september/antonio-id-rather-win-and-not-score#y0xeMIhIOCFb4MgV.99
  • Grey, calm down. I never said it wasn't dealt with. I just said it was at times out of hand. I was complimenting the site.

Back to Antonio. In my experience he's also the last to do autographs etc.
  • Lukerz

'Prickly' doesn't equal 'abuse on another level'

Generally, the worst on here is people being mildly intemperate.

• edited January 2017
    MrsG - it's difficult to explain with Antonio.

If people don't see it, not that there is anything TO see necessarily, they won't.

He has that nice smile, does some funky celebrations, came from non-league, quite down to earth, scores loads of headers (not many with his feet though). What's not to like?

He does beat players mainly through power. Surges past them, bundles past them, knocks it past them and uses his pace. He doesn't normally do it through finesse or natural ability IMO. Is it effective? Sometimes, sometimes not. I think his lack of assists and goals with his feet is quite telling about his football ability. But who cares? He scores. Whether that be off his head, shoulder or foot.

Hard to put your finger on it and describe, because he's done a lot to win people over already. For me, he's a player riding the wave of bursting onto the scene from nowhere. I think he is getting a lot of fortune. Fair play.

The only bit I slightly differ with sweeperz is the selfish element. I think he is generally a team player and not intentionally selfish. I just think his football brain is lacking a bit which makes him make poor decisions.

In a years time, I don't think he'll be anywhere near as obvious to the side as people feel he is now.

I suppose time will tell. He's only been a regular in the PL just over a year. Let's see in 2/3 years time.
  • The way I see it at the end of the day goals win matches and he gets goals

It's all well and good being technically great with no end product

Lanzini is my favourite player atm but for all his skill he's not often a match winner, Antonio is and that is something that is hard to find especially for a club in our position

Say we get £20/25mil for him who we gonna bring in who can get the same amount of goals (8 in 23 last season too)

If Feghouli or Ayew were showing enough that it's not a risk losing him but atm they aren't and it's too hard to bring in quality replacements in jan
  • IronHerb said:

I thought that was called 'wumming' ;hmm

Aha another of the Antonio ;hmm club.

Fill yer boots herb. ;wink
    Actually I'm 'generally' with you on this Lukerz. I even gave you an Agree earlier on ;ok
  • Herb ;bowdown

Three musketeers ;cool
  • I hope the boy continues to score and go past people, I really do. But something for me isn't quite right.
  • Ham, that's truly horrible.

Well done.

• Diamanti was a far better "technical" player than Antonio - look how it worked out for him in the prem
  • edited January 2017
    ;lol

Better get behind that ;sofa quick sharp.

#incoming
  • Antonio knows he's not a RB, he knows his best position is playing further forward and it can be little surprise that when asked to play in a position he knows isn't his best he's less than happy.

I wasn't happy when I saw him lining up in the back four, not hard to imagine how he felt.

I'm just going to say this, I don't think we're going to buy anyone who's going to make a huge difference to our season and apart from Calleri and Zaza no one is going to leave.
  • I don't get all this anti Antonio stuff.

Some of it, imo, is a bit mean.
  • Had Antonio signed anyone yet? ;hmm
  • Offered £5m for Snodgrass according to a Sky reporter on Twitter.

£5m ;lol
  • Hey, it's more than £3m ;ok
  • If we get Snodgrass then likely Feghouli goes
  • Snodgrass will not get signed for 3 - 5 - 7 -9 - 11 m only way Hull sells is if we stump up 20m for him which we aren't going to do so.
  • I reckon they'll do business for £10m

No way we'll pay that though.
  • Surely we havnt offered £5m ;lol
  • ;lol ;lol ;lol
  • Let's just do a load of laughing smilies
This discussion has been closed.