Running 100km (and a few other races) for Hospice UK

Comments

• Hope things improve Moojor.
  • Sorry to hear of your recent mishap, Moojor. Keep smiling and carry on!
    Have got surgery on my foot to realign my toes on 5th July. Consultant says that I should be on crutches after 3 weeks but to allow a minimum of 6 weeks off work!
    Will still take part in Shine Night Half
    Marathon Walk round London on 23rd September as planned.
  • For quite a few months my long run of the week has been around 5 miles.

Suddenly today though I decided to double it to 10

I think I chose the wrong day for such foolhardy thoughts though - it was stiflingly hot out there

;hmm
  • Lol barracks, really not the day to suddenly double up your miles! Did you make it through okay?

I had my first physio appointment on Friday, the good new was that it wasn't a slipped disc or anything really serious.

Problem is with the sacrum at the base of my spine and the muscles all around it are really tight which is making the joint soild.

She is happy that it can be sorted out and just after that session and doing the stretches at the weekend the pain is less. I'm back there next Friday for the next one.

She is also going to work with me on some core strength stuff to help support the muscle fatigue issues I have with my left hip which normally occurs after about 25 miles

I did make it clear that unless it was something that needed surgery the "don't run" option wasn't an option. Her remit is to get everything moving enough to make it through the Thames Path and 70 mile, two day even at the start of October. After that I can do non-running rehab stuff.
  • Mooj

Yes I staggered round at about 9.5 mins per mile.

Want to try and keep it up though if possible - that'll be the challenge...
  • That is quality. I considered running yesterday and just decided against it because of the temperature.
  • Mooj

Make sure you don't do yourself any long term harm by pushing things too far beyond the advice given by your physio...
  • The Great Newham 10K is less than two weeks away in the stadium. Anyone else participating this year?
  • Once was enough for me! Am I to assume that the everhopeful family is giving it another go?
  • Mooj

Make sure you don't do yourself any long term harm by pushing things too far beyond the advice given by your physio...

She did say that I was okay to continue the running, but have to keep all runs at a very slow pace and avoid doing any hill work.
  • MrsGrey said:

Once was enough for me! Am I to assume that the everhopeful family is giving it another go?

Daughter cycling 100km round Bristol instead so just myself and youngest. Hope it is marginally cooler than last couple of days.
  • ;nonono ;lol re. daughter - taking the easy option (not!)

I hope you have a good run. I have sort-of-fond memories. But am full of admiration for those that go back year after year for more punishment. ;bowdown
  • Got out for an 8 mile run this morning. Everything held up okay. Took it nice and slowly and heading out for 12 miles tomorrow.
  • Excellent news!

You don't fancy a recovery day between the 2 runs, then?
  • MrsGrey said:

Excellent news!

You don't fancy a recovery day between the 2 runs, then?

The back to back long runs are back bone of training for the ultras.

So I need to know that I can handle them. I have 12 miles planned but a little stiff this morning. So I'll head out and see how things go.
  • ;ok Hope it goes well.

• edited July 2017
    Only made it to 9 miles. Though that was more down to my stomach not liking the new energy gels that I was testing.
    Took the gels at 7 miles, by mile 8 I realised there was a problem. The mile "sprint" home was one of the most painful miles I have ever run.
    Legs etc were all feeling good.
  • I suppose the up-side is that you know not to use those again. ;puzzled
  • Not talking ultras but completed my 10K ending in the stadium today. If picture works, self and youngest after the finish. Frustrated to go six seconds over my one hour target!IMG-20170701-WA0000
  • IMG-20170702-WA0000
    If the picture works, self and youngest having completed the Newham 10K and ended in the stadium. Frustrated by finishing 6 seconds outside my 60 minute target! Too much high fiving hammers fans on the way round.
  • Well done to both of you!! That's still a good time ;star
  • We seem to have a bonus picture of your daughter after her cycling ;wheelie
  • You have ! First foray into the world of pictures! Thought I had deleted the first one, although I am marginally more proud of her cycling 100 km through the Bristol night to raise money for the charity where she works than I am of the fact I jogged around East London for an hour!!
  • ;lol

Do you want to leave it up - I can remove it if you'd prefer. But she well deserves a moment of fame ;diva
  • Leave it there; people can laugh at my technological ineptitude!
  • ;hug

They can admire your ability to learn new skills!

#olddognewtricks
  • Nice work Everhopeful + family!

Here's my first post 70th birthday 10K - came second in the 66-70 division.

Stanford_10K
  • edited July 2017
    That puts me to shame west coast ;bowdown

• edited July 2017
    ;nonono 52 minutes and 6 seconds. ;lol That's pretty damn impressive. ;bowdown